Wednesday, April 13, 2005

A New York Experience In Brookline, MA

Since I have never been to one, my fiancée has been promising for a while to take me to an authentic Jewish deli. He's mentioned a deli located in Brookline, MA, B&D Deli, located at Washington Square. We finally made plans to head on out there as I am beyond curious and need to know what the rave is all about. Of course, as luck would have it, it's one of the rainiest days this season, but that didn't stop us from taking the hour-long trip to indulge on these deli fares for brunch.

We arrived just in the nick of time as the hustling and bustling ensued with the flocking of what seemed to be longtime regulars and fans of this eatery. I couldn't believe how long the line behind us had grown in a matter of minutes with eager and hungry patrons with every seat in the house occupied. Our wait was minimal because of my fiancées impeccable timing. A table for two had just become available and we were seated immediately. The environment was casual and the décor modest, as I had expected of a deli.

Even though the place was hopping, the waiter made his way to our table quickly leaving behind a generous and varied menu with affordable prices. While I had no idea of what I fancied, I was comfortable choosing a selection because my companion was well aware and familiar with the offerings and recommended I try one of his favorites, the hot pastrami sandwich. He ordered the stuffed blintzes and potato latkes (crepes and pancakes). As usual, we always share our entrees, a benefit of being a couple.

I was quite surprised to see our order filled so quickly and was completely in awe when I saw the size of my hot pastrami sandwich! Humongous! Completely stuffed! I was almost embarrassed to be seen with it! The pastrami was hot and sweet and soft. The bulkie roll was fresh and soft. Excellent! It came along with a side order of potato salad and a kosher pickle, both to die for! The blintzes were large as well, a very generous portion, stuffed with a delicious sweet, creamy cheese and completely topped with fresh warm strawberries! Scrumptious! And the potato latke was beyond a treat; crunchy on the outside and soft inside. Perfect!

Of course, we couldn't eat it all and had no room for desert. Too bad, perhaps another time I can tap into it. We did end up purchasing a few items to go such as their chopped liver, which was out of this world, potato latkes and blintzes that were of the same quality and portion as we had earlier. The only disappointment was they had run out of Challah, which I was told is an egg-rich, yeast-leavened, braided bread traditionally eaten on Sabbath and holidays. My fiancée was steadfast on me trying Challah and ended up going to a local bakery and purchased a loaf and I have to say it was one of the best breads I have ever had!

So if you have the desire to enjoy an authentic Jewish cuisine along with the authentic New York style deli atmosphere, and oh by the way, have a most satisfying meal, then I highly recommend paying a visit to Brookline's B&D Deli. It'll be worth the trip.

2 Comments:

Blogger The Library Lady said...

You need to describe this as a "Kosher Style" deli. A true deli would not have served blintzes or anything else including a dairy product. Kosher dietary rules include keeping dairy and meat products totally separate.
The deli my parents used to take us to in the Bronx (long gone)would not have served cheese on a sandwich (Reubens are NOT Kosher food) butter for your bread or even milk for your coffee!
Dairy restaurants existed--that's where you would have found blintzes, cheesecake, etc.
Most delis today are "Kosher style" and the food can be excellent, but it is not the true deli experience.
(They're also missing the surly waiters, famed in Yiddish jokes and stories, that made the atmosphere unique!)

9:48 AM  
Blogger New England Magazine said...

Thank you for your feedback.  If I am not mistaking, seems you have described an authentic Orthodox/Hassidic deli in NY vs. a deli that simply serves Jewish cuisine.  I would have loved to have had the chance to visit the deli you spoke of.

10:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home